Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:03 am by Yoann

Lindsey Stirling Violin
lindsey stirling

Map

How many violins does Lindsey have?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How many violins does Lindsey have?

Post by hobbes on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:08 am

Maybe it would be simpler to post this to Lindsey's web page and get a direct answer, but OTOH maybe it will generate some discussion here: Does anyone (besides Lindsey) know how many violins she owns? I count at least four: (1) Her Roth, (2) the one she calls her "cheap" or "stunt" violin (actually, it's probably more than one), which she uses in her videos (obviously she wouldn't take the Roth out in the snow, or where it might be damaged), (3) her Yamaha electric, and (4) that other electric violin that looks somewhat like a skeleton (does anyone know what that one is?).

So, have I missed any?
hobbes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How many violins does Lindsey have?

Post by AdminKat on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:46 am

You are correct- she has 4! (:
AdminKat
Admin

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/KatW315

Back to top Go down

Post by RichClashChair on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Her 100 year old baby, a student model one from ebay, her stunt violin that can't even play, and her electric violin from Shadows and Spontaneous Me. The one she played for POTO isn't hers.
RichClashChair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hobbes on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks for the info, RichClashChair, and you, too, Kat. I guess I don't know my electric violins very well. Actually, on reading the notes in the POTO video, I see that that violin is called a Viper and Lindsey seems to think more highly of it than she does of her Yamaha. Any suggestions on how we tell her conventional violins apart in the videos, not that we'd ever see her Roth in one? Perhaps a different coloration? I notice she seems to have installed an acoustic pickup on all of them.

So the Roth is 100 years old, huh? I am reminded of the odd feeling I get when I drive a car that is older than myself -- sort of a combination of respect for the vehicle tempered with responsibility. I bet Lindsey feels something similar when she pick up her "baby".
hobbes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by silviotercero on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:23 pm

I actually asked this question myself on a video chat. I got it on video of course youtube [dot] com/watch?v=Sbf8PY0EwTo&

silviotercero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hobbes on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks, Silvio. I suppose what we can draw from this is that Lindsey uses (one of?) her cheap violins in her videos -- something I suppose I would have presumed anyway. But, this begs the question: What is she actually playing during the video shoots and does she particularly care how it sounds? I note that most of her videos seem to be a collage of scenes assembled from several often widely diverse takes. I'm guessing that she performs a complete composition in each environment, and then produces, in a more controlled environment, the sound track which is actually used in the video. Then, Devin, or maybe Lindsey herself, stitches together the production audio track with the video segments, in such a way that her motions on the video match the sound track, i.e., so that she's not on the "G" string in the video when the sound being heard is from the "E". And, I note she/they generally do a very good job at this, although I think it is not always perfect.

Is that close? In any event, it is still a remarkable thing that she does in creating these videos. In my mind, these audio-visual musical productions are really a whole new art form which began with the original MTV offerings back in the 1980s, and which have evolved into what we see on YouTube today.
hobbes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum